Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Kick the Fat 5K, the Holiday Resort Stay, and Everyday's a Holiday!

We had good intentions to run the Kick the Fat 5K on 15 March as a family. We also had to use our certificate for a free night's stay at the Holiday Resort and Spa in Tumon because it expired on 14 March. Of course, everything else was going on 14-15 March: the grand re-opening of the Clipper Landing which all our friends were going to, regular judo class, and a full day of work beforehand with NOD.
After much angst and discussion, we went to Tumon and checked in to our hotel. We inspected the hotel pool and promised Anna and Drew they would get to play. We ate at Tairyo Sushi and learned the place gets much busier later in the evening; we make it a point to go when it first opens. When we got back to the hotel, the pool was closed for the evening. Anna and Drew were disappointed, but I promised to take them first thing in the morning---after we ran the 5K, that is.

Gregg wanted to go to the Tower of London Pub because COB was going to be there. I sent him with my blessings. I called reception to request a wake-up call and settled in to read and relax in a strange bed with the kids.

On the day of the race, Gregg groaned. I didn't push him further; Anna decided to stay and sleep in with Gregg. Drew and I took off for Chamorro Village. I didn't think we got there late, but by the time we crossed the street and wasted time looking for a public toilet, we had to join the race at the back of the crowd. When the start was announced, we ended up walking for a while until the crowd thinned out. Even then, we wasted a lot of valuable time dodging in and out of clueless people. And then, the turn-around point was WAY beyond where they said it would be! So, I think the course was actually longer than 3.1 miles. Race etiquette says that once you're in the chutes for the finish, you don't pass people. Unfortunately, clueless people start walking at that point, not realizing the clock doesn't stop for them until they pass the finish line... I had already resigned myself to not improving my times and this was seriously demoralizing. The only good thing about the race was the t-shirt with the cool Chamorro pictograph.
We didn't stay for the awards or prizes. I had NOD so we went to the hospital and made rounds. It was quiet.

Back at the hotel, Anna and Drew changed into their swimsuits and played in the pool for an hour before getting bored. We got showered and dressed and headed out for breakfast. We checked out the hotel buffet, but wanted something a little different. Unfortunately, there is nothing open or for breakfast within a reasonable walking distance so we ate at the hotel. Drew loved it and told me he thought it was almost as good as the breakfast buffet in Hong Kong.

Gregg needed to get back to base to finish up a legal matter so we swung by the Boy Scout Hut to pick up another pinewood derby kit for Anna and some weights (just in case). Because I was the NOD, I was assigned to a funeral detail for LCDR Michael L. Murphy. You know, the obituary said there were no surviving family members, only friends and that would be who received the flag. I was terribly afraid the funeral detail would be the largest contingent there for his memorial and burial at sea. But the Chamorro culture is fabulous and many families showed up, including children. I was so proud, both of the Guamanians who adopted him as their own and of LCDR Murphy, whose personality must have endeared him to his adoped family. I would volunteer again to do burial detail.

I took Anna and Drew to tennis practice at Tiyan. I really like their tennis practice. I get to sit in the shade and read for an hour. It's so relaxing for me.

We had a Saint Patrick's Day celebration at Senior Chief's house---only this twist was multi-cultural instead of Irish-focused. Gregg's contribution to the festivities was Thai beer. I came back early to clean the house (which had suffered from all our activities in the morning) and considered making rounds at the hospital, but I was so tired I wouldn't have been safe driving. I did phone calls instead and it was still quiet, always a good thing.